Brussels

26 Oct 2019 - 27 Oct 2019

2 guests - 1 room

Art Nouveau buildings, comic book art, and the world’s best beer all attract plenty of people to Brussels each year. Despite the city’s reputation for being expensive, it’s easy to find plenty of cheap hotels.

The capital of Belgium, and the European Union, Brussels is a major destination for business and leisure travellers alike. Diplomats mill around The European Parliament and NATO buildings, while tourists sample chocolate and admire the pretty buildings around the Grand Place.

The city is bilingual with 80% of the population speaking French, and the other 20% speaking the local Dutch dialect of Flemish. Every street in Brussels has two names, some of which sound completely different, so bear this in mind if you need to ask for directions.

Brussels is a massive city with a population of over one million people. There are plenty of great things to see and do, and places to discover. When you’re looking for hotels in Brussels, it’s worth considering the following neighbourhoods.

City Centre

Most of the major sights and hotels in Brussels are concentrated around the city centre, particularly around the Grand Place with its quaint buildings and delicious waffle carts. You can’t visit Brussels without stopping by the city’s most famous landmark, the Manneken Pis: a small bronze fountain shaped like a toddler. Sample the famous Belgian beer at Place St Gery, go window shopping on the elite Rue Antoine Dansaerte, or simply go snap happy in the most photogenic part of town.

Ixelles

Once a town in its own right, the pretty district of Ixelles is now one of Brussels most multi cultural neighbourhoods. It’s split in two by Avenue Louise (technically part of Brussels city), and is home to a good selection of hotels. The neighbourhood is known for its independent boutique shops, where you can pick up unique crafts. You can sample African style street food on the pedestrianised Rue Longue-Vie, relax on a sunny day in Tenbosch Park, and visit the UNESCO word heritage buildings designed by Victor Horta.

Sint-Gilles

Known for its artsy and bohemian atmosphere, Saint-Gilles is locally known as the “village in the city”. There are plenty of cultural events, with flea markets and antique fairs throughout the year. There are lots of hotels around Chaussée de Charleroi, while Parvis de St-Gilles is where you can find the epicentre of the city’s art scene. Once a year the area holds an open day for local artists, a Portuguese festival, and a wine growers festival.

Avenue Louise

There are plenty of big name hotels located along this massive chestnut lined street, which has its own colourful history. When the street was built, there was some resistance from Ixelles: which the road cuts through. During World War II the Gestapo claimed a series of buildings along the street as their headquarters, which were then attacked by a Belgian member of the British RAF. A monument to the pilot stands outside the building in question today. Nowadays the street is home to high-end boutiques, restaurants, and office blocks.

Top rated hotels in Brussels

from £78
from £84
from £110

What are travellers saying about Brussels?

9.8
History Buffs
8.5
Nightlife Lovers
8.0
Foodies
7.4
Family Travellers
7.1
Outdoor Enthusiasts
Member reviews (325)
adeline e.
adeline e.
16/09/2019

I loved it! The experience was great, the city centres are lively and people are very friendly — pickpockets galore but if you're careful you're ok

Annette Annette
Annette Annette
09/08/2019

Wonderful city, amazing museum, beer tastes good, chocolate is drug! What else?

V K
V K
05/07/2019

Why you would want to go to Brussels. Here are few reasons. Cold & inconsiderate people. Airports can have random strike and you have to plan extra money in order to get the hell out of the stinky country to take alternate flights from France or Netherlands. If you love such adventures Brussels is the place to be

Kalee Fambrough
Kalee FambroughMiami
30/12/2017

I can’t recommend Brussels enough! It is a foodie paradise! So many yummy things to try like the waffles, frites and assorted beers! Definitely recommend!

FAQs

The least expensive month is December, with an average of £86 per night. The most expensive month to stay in Brussels is September, with an average price of £115 per night.
The average price of a hotel in October last year was £93 per night. This is 12% less than the average nightly price of £105 seen over the previous 12 months.
In Brussels, the expected average temperature in October is 11.4°C/52.4°F. The warmest month is typically July, which averages 23.2°C/73.8°F. The coolest month is January, with temperatures averaging 1.3°C/34.3°F.
The nearest airport to Brussels is Brussels International (BRU) (7.15 miles). Other nearby airports include: Antwerp Deurne (23.94 miles) Brussels S. Charleroi (27.39 miles)

Plan a trip to Belgium