Data from Skyscanner shows that London has become the most popular May Day holiday weekend flight destination for Brits this year.
Last year, London ranked only 6th most popular, but has now rocketed up the charts displacing Amsterdam as the number one most searched for flight destination on Skyscanner for the early May bank holiday period.
Malaga, Alicante and Rome have each risen one place from last year and Berlin is a brand new entry in the top ten. Dublin has taken a fall, possibly due to the sharp downturn in Ireland’s economy. Barcelona has descended three places, Paris one place and Prague has dropped out of the top ten altogether.
Overall, Spain still remains the single most popular country destination outside of the UK for the May Day holiday travel, with four Spanish destinations appearing in the top ten. Urban breaks appear to be more popular than beach breaks, with seven of the top ten May Day destinations being large cities.
Gareth Williams, Skyscanner CEO commented:
"The massive rise in the number of people searching for flights to London this year shows that more people are staying in the UK this May Day holiday, likely because of the weak pound. However, Skyscanner’s data clearly shows that people aren’t being put off the eurozone; the rest of the top ten are all euro destinations."
1. London – the big smoke celebrates May Day in style with plenty going on; clubbers can go to Eastern Electrics – a massive dance party presenting the best in Dubstep, Techno and Nu-Disco. Sports fans can take in one of the UK’s biggest grudge matches – the Army Vs Navy rugby game at Twickenham. Art appreciators should visit the Picasso Exhibition, and foodies can gorge on the Slow Food Market at the Southbank Centre. Find cheap flights to London
2. Malaga – with perfect temperatures, May Day is an ideal time to hit the beach in Malaga. Be sure to visit a chiringuitos (beach-side restaurant and bar) and sample Malagan specialties such as espetos (fresh sardines grilled over huge beds of charcoal) washed down with a glass of tinto de verano (summer wine) – a refreshing drink similar to sangria. Find cheap flights to Malaga
3. Amsterdam – the big celebration at this time of year in the Dutch Capital is Queen’s Day on the 30th April. Attracting 700 thousand visitors each year, Queen’s Day is one massive party with huge markets taking over the streets, everyone dressing up in lots of orange, (The Netherland’s national colour) and lots of singing and dancing to traditional Dutch songs, helped along by ample supplies of cool Dutch beer. Find cheap flights to Amsterdam
4. Alicante – another great Spanish destination for sun and sand, be sure to visit El Postiguet, Alicante’s most popular beach, renowned for the quality of its sand, its palm tree boardwalk and its proximity to Andalucía’s Old Quarter. If you get peckish, tuck into the popular Andalucían dish arroz a banda – a tasty seafood meal similar to paella. Find cheap flights to Alicante
5. Barcelona – May Day is busy in Barcelona with most locals off work and relaxing. It’s an ideal time to take a stroll down Las Ramblas, around the bohemian Raval district, or if you need to cool off, head to Barcelona’s very own city beach – Barceloneta – surrounded by seafood restaurants it’s a great place to watch the world go by on a hot May Day. Find cheap flights to Barcelona