Introducing the flight search geeks that make Skyscanner work
**1. What do you do at Skyscanner? **
I’m part of the commercial team, bringing new airlines on board and looking for other revenue opportunities.
2. What kind of flight geek are you?
Are you calling me a geek? (Yup! – Ed). In that case – I suppose you could call me a revenue generating geek.
3. What best generally describes your travel style?
I’m a wanderer – I’ll travel anytime, anyplace. I also travel a lot on Skyscanner business; some of the places I’ve been over the last year include: Istanbul, Madrid, Riga, Brussels and sunny Leeds. I’m off to Moscow next year which will be my first trip to Russia.
4. What’s your ideal holiday
I like to get off the beaten track and visit places where there’s plenty to do and see, rather than fry on a beach for two weeks.
5. Who’s your ideal travel companion?
My wife, Nicola.
6. Do you fly with children?
Not if I can help it, although some inconsiderate people do insist bringing them on planes!
7. How do you decide where you want to go?
Last year my wife and I each put three places we wanted to go into a hat and did a lucky dip. We ended up in India and Myanmar. We’ll use this method again this year.
8. How do you decide when you want to go?
Our finances and the weather, both here and at our destination, normally help us decide – but we always avoid school holidays.
9. What annoys you most about planning holidays?
It sounds like a strange complaint, but these days there is almost too much choice; we spend a long time just deciding on a destination!
10. What are you doing in your job at Skyscanner to improve things?
I’m making sure we have as many direct airline deals as possible so the month graphs are full of prices to interesting places
11. What’s your favourite thing about the Skyscanner site?
The fact that we’ve got full coverage of all the budget carriers and all the relevant advertising. Plus the fact that you don’t have to enter a travel date – which is perfect for flexible travellers like myself.
12. What’s your dream Skyscanner feature?
A personalisation feature where I can save my airports and destinations so Skyscanner can alert me to relevant prices.
14. What’s the geekiest thing about you? Your secret geek shame?
When I’m not performing my commercial flight search geek roll, I’m a fishing geek (see Q13).
15. Worst travel experience?
A long weekend in Dumfries and Galloway.