News Egypt Travel Advice

All articles

Egypt Travel Advice

Egypt Travel Advice

Last updated:11:07 Wed 9th Feb 2011

Should I still travel to Egypt?

With the recent unrest in Egypt, many travellers are wondering if they should still travel. The situation is fast moving and changing by the hour so keep a breast with the latest situation on the BBC and with the FCO.

Currently the FCO say:

“In light of the ongoing demonstrations, we continue to advise against all but essential travel to Cairo (all four governorates of Cairo, Giza, Helwan and 6 October), Alexandria, Luxor and Suez. We recommend that British nationals without a pressing need to be in Cairo, Alexandria or Suez leave by commercial means, where it is safe to do so. This does not affect transits through Cairo airport for onward travel to other international destinations, although there is disruption to flight schedules.

"According to latest information, the Red Sea Resorts, including Sharm el Sheikh, remain calm. However, the situation across Egypt is unpredictable and may change quickly. You should stay in touch with your tour operator.”

Check with the FCO for the very latest Egypt Travel Advice

Or phone the FCO:
• 020 7008 0000 in the UK
• (02) 2791 6000 in Egypt

I’m due to travel to one of the areas affected by the unrest; what should I do?

You should contact your airline or travel agent and discuss your options. You may be able to get a refund or transfer your trip to a later date.

I’m due to travel to one of the beach resorts – what is the situation there?

The big Red Sea resorts such as Sharm el Sheikh, Marsa Alam and Hurghada are still being reported as calm and tour operators are currently operating as normal. Obviously trips and excursions to affected areas have been suspended.

Can I cancel my holiday to Egypt if I don’t want to go?

If your holiday is in an area which is currently not affected by the unrest, you are unlikely to be offered a refund, as tour operations are operating normally.

If your holiday is in one of the areas now advised as ‘off limits’ by the FCO, contact your airline or tour operator who should allow bookings to be altered.

Will my travel insurance cover me for Egypt?

You will need to contact your insurance company and check the details of your policy. The majority of insurers will not cover cancellations to areas that are unaffected by the unrest – such as the Red Sea resorts.

If you travel to areas that the FCO advises against, you may also invalidate your policy. Again – check the details and contact your insurer if in doubt.

Don’t want to go to Egypt?


Flights to Turkey
Fligths to Cyprus
Flights to Greece