Vaccination certificates are a big part of travel, with many destinations offering looser restrictions for double-jabbed travellers. Using COVID vaccine certificates to prove that you’re fully vaccinated gives you a lot more freedom in terms of where – and how – you travel.
To show proof that you’re fully vaccinated is important, whether via the NHS app or other services. Here’s how to demonstrate your COVID 19 vaccination status.
1. What are COVID vaccine certificates?
A COVID vaccine certificate is physical or digital proof that you have been vaccinated against COVID 19. It exempts you from pandemic-related entry restrictions for a number of countries. Vaccinated travellers can often skip PCR testing before entry, and might not need to self-isolate on arrival. Every country is different, so it’s important to check the latest restrictions before you book.
2. How to use COVID vaccine certificates for international travel
COVID vaccine certificates need to be shown at the airport before you board your international flight. You can show it on your phone using the NHS app in England, the NHS Scotland COVID Status app in Scotland, and COVIDCert NI in Northern Ireland. If you live in Wales, you cannot use the NHS app to obtain a COVID Pass – you must request one via the NHS UK website. All UK nationals can also order a paper copy from the NHS, either by phone or online.
3. How to use COVID vaccine certificates domestically
From October 2021, Scotland and Wales have been asking everyone to show COVID vaccine certificates to enter nightclubs and certain comparable venues and events. In Wales from November 15, people will also need to show their NHS Covid Pass to gain entry to cinemas, theatres, and concert halls. This will be the same certificate you show when boarding a plane – a digital version on an app, or an official paper copy issued by the NHS. Familiarise yourself with local regulations if you’re planning a domestic holiday in either of these nations.
4. Where to get your COVID vaccine certificate
The four nations of the UK each have their own approach to delivering COVID vaccine certificates.
- Download the NHS England health app
- Request a letter by calling 119
- Download a copy from the online COVID Pass service
- Request a letter through the NHS online portal
- Use the Scottish COVID pass app
- Download a PDF or request a letter online via the NHS vaccination portal
- Request a letter by calling the COVID Status Helpline on 0808 196 8565
- Access your vaccine status through the NHS website
- Request a paper letter by calling 0300 303 5667
🏴 Northern Ireland
- Use the COVIDCert NI app
- Request a letter by calling the helpline on 0300 200 7814
- Northern Ireland residents with a valid Irish passport can also apply for an EU COVID certificate
Discover where you can go
Making plans to get back out there? Find out whose borders are open with our interactive global map, and sign up to receive email updates when your top destinations reopen.
Want to read more?
- Fit to fly: COVID tests for travel explained
- The most popular destinations and the latest travel rules
- Travel on your terms with flexible flights
- What to expect when flying right now
- Your travel insurance questions covered
- Quarantine rules: what to do after visiting a red list destination
- Latest Travel News