Every week, Skyscanner scours the net to find the cheapest flights to the best events and destinations in Europe. This week, we look at shoulder season deals.
For most of the UK, this summer has been yet another wet, dull and fairly miserable one. Flooding seems to be annual event; rain our national emblem. But as we move into the post-summer shoulder season, we have the chance to find fewer crowds, cheaper flights and bargain accommodation, plus there’s still plenty of sun going around if you know where to look.
Ljubljana, Slovenia – still pleasantly warm well into autumn, grab a coffee and watch the green Ljubljanica river drift past in this most beautiful of central European cities. The atmosphere is one of style and sophistication and this city is thankfully yet to be invaded by UK stag groups. With its medieval castles, leafy streets and cafe cultured locals, there’s a strong air of romance in Ljubljana which still feels like a secret city.
• get cheap flights from London to Ljubljana, prices start from £46 (return, including taxes)
Budapest, Hungary – as the nights draw in and the temperatures fall, why not get yourself into hot water in one of Budapest’s thermal bath pools? Famed for having the world’s finest Turkish baths (the Turks may disagree), you can relax in the hot H2O of decadent bathing houses, enjoy all manner of medical spa treatments and get beaten up by expert masseurs.
• get cheap flights from London to Budapest, prices start from £63 (return, including taxes)
• get cheap flights from Manchester to Budapest, prices start from £49 (return, including taxes)
• get cheap flights from Bristol to Budapest, prices start from £53 (return, including taxes)
Austrian Alps – Austria’s Tyrol region offers spiky mountain landscapes, culinary specialities and great hiking and biking. The lovely city of Innsbruck is the gateway to the Tyrol region and worthy of a visit in itself, but it’s the surrounding mountains that most come to see. With mountains over 3700m tall, be sure to pack your warm clothes, as snow can come early in Alps.
Autumn Night Life
Oktoberfest, Munich, Germany – the beach bars of the Med may be emptying, but there’s always a party going on somewhere. Munich’s Oktoberfest, which actually starts on the 20th of September, is a great place to enjoy beer, bratwurst and Bavaria’s beautiful barmaids. See Skyscanner’s guide to Oktoberfest for more tips.
• get cheap flights from London to Munich, prices start from £80 (return, including taxes)
• get cheap flights from Edinburgh to Munich, prices start from £49 (return, including taxes)
• get cheap flights from Belfast to Munich, prices start from £64 (return, including taxes)
Autumn Beach Boys (and girls)
Hvar, Croatia – get all the sun and sand, without having to fight for beach space. Many of Europe’s beaches are still hot and dry in autumn and they’re much quieter too. Croatia’s Hvar Island is one of the most beautiful and lively beaches on the Adriatic, with several types of seafront including azure waters, white sands, rocky cliffs and even a nudist zone; don’t forget to wax.
• get cheap flights from London to Split, prices start from £57 (return, including taxes)
• get cheap flights from Glasgow to Split, prices start from £131 (return, including taxes)
• get cheap flights from Birmingham to Split, prices start from £242 (return, including taxes)
To view the most up to date flight prices as well as other flight routes visit: Skyscanner Flight Search.
Skyscanner is the most powerful and flexible flight search engine in Europe, which provides instant online comparison on prices for over 5000 flights on 180 airlines. With Skyscanner, users can browse without having to enter specific dates or airports, so you can go looking for the best bargains or just for travel inspiration.
Full permission is granted for this release to be reproduced in full or in part on the condition that Skyscanner.net is credited. All prices correct at time of writing.