Sr. Software Engineer, Backend
Travel. It’s one of life’s simple pleasures. But, ooof, planning it can feel like hard work. For the last 18 years we’ve been on a mission to empower every traveller with innovative tools, insights and experiences that help people get to where they’re going, so they can spend more time out exploring the world, and less time anxiously bouncing around 25 browser tabs and endless spreadsheets. Our traveller-first approach drives everything we do and it’s never been more important than it is today.
When we launched as a flight comparison site back in 2003, we changed the game by helping travellers feel smart, like they were in on a secret, that promise hasn’t changed. And today, while we’re a world leader in travel, with millions of people using our products every single day we know there’s so much more we can be doing.
Being part of Skyscanner means joining a team hell bent on building the world’s most innovative, and helpful travel experiences possible. We’re hugely ambitious and believe we have the chance to genuinely challenge and disrupt the industry.
You will be working together with the team on the downstream data visibility system of Skyscanner, so we can have full visibility of the user journey regardless of touch points in Skyscanner or partner sites. By working on that project, you will have the opportunity to improve the experience of millions of travellers worldwide, and even propose new directions and projects for Skyscanner; You’ll know all about building scalable systems using cloud technologies and will occasionally get involved with hands-on development
In Skyscanner, you will have the freedom and autonomy of your own technical choices based on AWS infrastructure and what’s more, you’ll have the space to be trusted to do what you do best and the opportunity to make a real difference.
- Design and implement reliable, scalable and extensible downstream data visibility system that support the company's strategy.
- Keep improving the system design and architecture to ensure high stability and performance of the service.
- Collaborate with multiple cropss-funcitional teams and understand the constraints and dependencies on existing platforms
- Contribute to the success of the team and system with high quality and starndards.
- Establish solid design and best engineering principles for junior engineers
- Continously learn and explore, become a fundamental member of a growing team.
- Bachelor's degree or above in computer science or a related technical discipline.
- More than 5 years of backend system development
- Strong learning ability, can quickly understand the business model and business needs of industry clients in a short period of time.
- Demonstrated experience with Python or Java
- Good communication skills and teamwork with different people and teams
- Good knowledge in at least one of the following areas: backend, large-scale systems, data science. data pipeline
- Experience in the online-traveller industry or data tracking is a plus.
You’ll join a brilliantly diverse group from all corners of the world. After all, travel is about finding new perspectives and experiencing new people and cultures – and Skyscanner is strongest when our teams are both inclusive and diverse. We recognise and challenge everyday biases, remove obstacles to inclusion and ensure all our people can thrive and be themselves.