Travel. It’s one of life’s simple pleasures. But, ooof, planning it can feel like hard work. For the last 18 years we’ve been on a mission to empower every traveller with innovative tools, insights and experiences that help people get to where they’re going, so they can spend more time out exploring the world, and less time anxiously bouncing around 25 browser tabs and endless spreadsheets. Our traveller-first approach drives everything we do and it’s never been more important than it is today.
When we launched as a flight comparison site back in 2003, we changed the game by helping travellers feel smart, like they were in on a secret, that promise hasn’t changed. And today, while we’re a world leader in travel, with millions of people using our products every single day we know there’s so much more we can be doing.
Being part of Skyscanner means joining a team hell bent on building the world’s most innovative, and helpful travel experiences possible. We’re hugely ambitious and believe we have the chance to genuinely challenge and disrupt the industry.
At Skyscanner, we put the traveller first and nowhere does that matter more than in our product. We're looking for a UX writer who'll be responsible for our communications on the front-line, creating and curating user-interface content across our website and app to develop a two-way conversation with our travellers.
As our business grows, so does the importance of strong, consistent messaging. We need someone who can help us bring creativity and clarity to every brand touchpoint - whether delighting with flourishes of micro-copy or breathing life into error messaging and legal disclaimers.
We're a wonderfully diverse company and proud of our product but (if we're honest), sometimes we forget that not everyone speaks like an engineer. That's why we need a great writer who sees the product like a traveller. Someone who understands how we work and can interpret the most complex concepts in a human way.
- Your portfolio speaks for itself. You've earned your stripes in UX writing and have the projects to prove it
- You know the importance of creating clear flows and consistent experiences while making sure that all user interactions are initiated with the same voice
- Working with translation teams doesn't phase you. You're aware of content localisation best practices and how to maintain a unified voice across different languages
- Writing software strings for product gets you out of bed in the morning. You can make everything friendly, from call to action buttons and help messages to push notifications
- You enjoy demystifying complex jargon, processes and language into something everyone can understand.
- Highly curious, you value the importance of user research and you learn through experimentation and testing. If something isn't working, you adapt and improve
- Understanding what is practical and what causes problems, you can form proposals around these constraints and opportunities
- You adapt your tone so that it's just right for every stage along the user journey
What you'll be doing:
- Writing clear, helpful and concise user-interface text
- Connecting the dots between products and platforms, identifying cross-over and finding solutions that create consistency
- Acting as the point of contact and source of expertise for user experience writing and suggesting ways to improve existing processes
- Working with product managers and engineering developers and business owners to define and deliver the best experience for travellers
- Proactively seeking areas for improvement, communicating across teams (we call them squads and tribes) to find solutions
- Working closely with translation teams to ensure messaging and tone of voice is kept consistent across all languages
- Working alongside other copywriters and reporting to the Principal Copywriter
- Evangelising for readability, usability and creativity
- Helping colleagues to become better writers by sharing best practice, collaborating, training #LI-JM1
You’ll join a brilliantly diverse group from all corners of the world. After all, travel is about finding new perspectives and experiencing new people and cultures – and Skyscanner is strongest when our teams are both inclusive and diverse. We recognise and challenge everyday biases, remove obstacles to inclusion and ensure all our people can thrive and be themselves.