Design Director, Product
Travel. It’s one of life’s simple pleasures. But, ooof, planning it can feel like hard work. For the last 18 years we’ve been on a mission to empower every traveller with innovative tools, insights and experiences that help people get to where they’re going, so they can spend more time out exploring the world, and less time anxiously bouncing around 25 browser tabs and endless spreadsheets. Our traveller-first approach drives everything we do and it’s never been more important than it is today.
When we launched as a flight comparison site back in 2003, we changed the game by helping travellers feel smart, like they were in on a secret, that promise hasn’t changed. And today, while we’re a world leader in travel, with millions of people using our products every single day we know there’s so much more we can be doing.
Being part of Skyscanner means joining a team hell bent on building the world’s most innovative, and helpful travel experiences possible. We’re hugely ambitious and believe we have the chance to genuinely challenge and disrupt the industry.
From its founding, Skyscanner has worked to solve traveller problems, it’s in the DNA of the company. We’ve led the category in providing a world-class Meta Search product for flights and are now leading the industry in defining new standards for shopping and booking at scale, helping to usher in a new era of modern and sustainable travel. This critical role is to take the helm of our Product Design as we look to acquire new and retain more travellers as we look to move beyond flights. Partnering with our commercial and product teams to re-invent how we help travellers plan, book and experience their trip. Our ambitions, scale and growth trajectory are unique in the industry, consequently, this has the opportunity to be truly career-defining.
We’re looking for a Design leader to help us develop our product design team and embed our design culture in a fast-growing org with an exciting change curve ahead. You’ll be focused on the “Arrive and Explore” part of our travellers journey. This requires not only great product design but story design thinking to welcome users to Skyscanner. You will be responsible for helping users inspire them to travel, and help them understand how Skyscanner can make their trip happen.
We’re looking for an experienced Product Design Director who has delivered significant results at a company-wide level — delivering hands-on design, defining strategy, designing and launching new products or services, overseeing complex processes and org challenges, while hiring and developing top talent.
- Set the bar for excellence in Product Design
- Be a leader in the design community with a strong visual design and story design background
- Collaborate with peers in leadership within Product, Engineering, Marketing, Data Science and Commercial to define a strategic vision for what we build, helping focus on solving user problems
- Go deep in the craft, and help teams understand how design as a process can help solve business and traveller problems
- Define the design strategy and roadmap across key problem areas – ensuring we create new experiences that solve more problems than ‘finding cheap flights’
- Recruit and develop amazing designers by defining their career paths, identify opportunities and inspire them to do the best work of their lives
- Manage designers who work embedded in independent product squads across multiple geographies, connecting all the surfaces that make up a user’s experience with Skyscanner
- Proactively and autonomously identify and tackle previously unidentified company problems, directly and by influence across the company
- Trusted expert within the discipline and continually raise the bar of what is expected
- Have demonstrated proven delivery at scale; gets things done and are accountable for the strategic direction and timely delivery of the right business outcomes, across multiple tribes or large teams
- Advise the broader product and business strategy, generating key strategic insights by guiding research teams and experts
- Affect a step-change in the trajectory of our business by inspiring and leading one or more tribes to the highest health & delivery standards
- Experience as a Design Director / Head of Product Design in a fast-moving internet company or Design agency
- You’ll have spent most of your career working on Digital Product
- Your portfolio will showcase a track record of delivering industry leading work
- You’ve managed designers in previous roles and are passionate about developing their skills and careers
- You are a Design leader who inspires and motivates your teams
- You can influence cross-functionally to ensure our Products are Design-led
- You’ll have experience owning large, complex design initiatives to successful completion, resulting in significant business growth
- You have a user-first mindset and care about design from strategy through to execution
- You have a strong mix of design specialisms, and you have the ability to go deep in these specialisms
- Fantastic communication skills and know-how to work within a globally diverse business
- You seek out and embrace change
- Experience recruiting, mentoring and managing top industry talent
- Experience making hard, data-driven decisions (incl. A/B testing, User Testing, Analytics, Market Research, Competitor Analysis, Defining Metrics and KPIs)
- A passion for travel
You’ll join a brilliantly diverse group from all corners of the world. After all, travel is about finding new perspectives and experiencing new people and cultures – and Skyscanner is strongest when our teams are both inclusive and diverse. We recognise and challenge everyday biases, remove obstacles to inclusion and ensure all our people can thrive and be themselves.