Skyscanner is a leading global travel search site and app, a place where people are inspired to plan and book direct from millions of travel options at the best prices. We employ over 1000 staff across eleven offices globally, and, having reached market leader status, we were recently acquired by Chinese online travel company Ctrip in a deal valued at £1.4bn. While we remain operationally independent, our acquisition by Ctrip allows us to take the business to the next level of accelerated global growth. It’s a hugely exciting time for Skyscanner and the over 80m people who use us every month. We are unbiased and free, and our secret is in our unique proprietary technology that connects people directly to everything the travel industry has to offer.
As we scale our engineering capabilities in Shenzhen, we're looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to work closely with our squads at an architectural level, while demonstrating strong technical expertise to lead from the front, set direction and work on maximising our partner value.
If you enjoy a hybrid role of technical leadership where you can utilise your experience to directly impact the growth and development of your engineering reports, alongside having influence across the wider Skyscanner business, this could be the place for you.
Skyscanner operates in a Tribes and Squads model and we have created an engineering culture where there is a high level of trust, autonomy and transparency. Our engineers work in autonomous teams (squads), they create their own backlog, they ship code whenever they want and don’t have dependencies in order to deliver to their users. Our engine uses global scale services, big data and machine learning to capture, normalise and make sense of real time information from our thousands of partners.
What you can expect as a senior engineering manager
- A supportive, trusting and transparent working environment
- A place to look at things differently and challenge and offer solutions
- Leadership and overall responsibility for the success of your squad across all scope of works
- Facilitation and collaboration across all relevant product engineering development lifecycles
- Leadership autonomy and growth development of your teams
- An opportunity to influence widely across strategic key projects and teams across the business
What we are looking for
- Previous job experience as a software engineering manager or development lead ideally within an internet economy business or equivalent
- Use of agile/lean methodologies for continuous delivery and improvement
- Experience of large scale distributed systems deployed to AWS
- Comfortable with operating at a high level of autonomy across a highly distributed global team
- Comfortable with challenging and offering solutions whilst working across full product development lifecycle
- With overall responsibility for the technical direction and development of your teams - people management / mentoring is a must as we continue to grow our tribe
What else can we offer you……
Skyscanner can offer you large scale, complex problems where you can reach 80 million users whilst enjoying a high level of autonomy and influence and a flexible working environment where you can thrive.
We are proud to have a working environment that sets our employees up for success, as well as all the usual perks such as barista coffee, fizzy & fresh drinks, snacks and fresh fruit and we can help with ‘down-time’ in the office that includes table tennis, pool table, foosball, xbox, office scooters, and massage chairs.
We give you the chance to be an owner and grant options in Skyscanner, and we also provide for your health with medical insurance, health screening options, gym membership, headspace subscription and an employee assistance programme to support you and your loved ones.
Then it gets really interesting, and you can buy more holiday, donate to a good cause, take part in 2 hack days per year, and 1 charity day, work from your home country for up to 3 weeks, spend up to 30 days working from another of our offices globally. And, you have the option to take part in Skyscanner extended annual leave which is an additional 3 weeks’ break (unpaid) after 3 years’ service or take 5 weeks’ break (paid) after 5 years’ service.