Skyscanner operates in a Tribes and Squads model and we have built an engineering culture where there is a high level of trust, autonomy and transparency. Our engineers work in autonomous squads where they can create their own backlog, ship code whenever they want and don’t have dependencies in order to deliver to the traveller. Our engine uses global scale services, big data and machine learning to assemble, normalise and make sense of real time information from our thousands of partners. Skyscanner can offer you large scale, complex problems where you can reach over 80 million users whilst enjoying a high level of autonomy and influence and a flexible working environment where you can thrive.
Our engineering principles are:
- We have a clear definition of success for every piece of work.
- We ship multiple times a day and deliver customer value week in, week out.
- We use design reviews to validate every significant change.
- We deliver our products using our defined technology standards.
- We peer review every change.
- Our Definitions of Done include being live in production… responsibly.
- You build it, you run it.
Most importantly, these are organic beliefs. We iterate. We learn. We grow. And our principles adapt with us.
We’re currently building some exceptional tooling, with deploy pipelines out of the box, allowing our engineers to ship changes quickly. We’re also working on server side/hybrid rendering strategies for our iOS and Android apps, as well as looking at React Native.
What you can expect as a senior software engineer
- A supportive, trusting and transparent working environment
- A place to look at things differently and offer up solutions, as well as challenging them
- Collaboration across product engineering, from initial ideas to solutions going live
- Being responsible for multiple key product feature components within your area
- You’ll define and implement the services that make up a complex sub system within the scope of your area
- An opportunity to influence your fellow engineers, and be generous with your time and experience
- Learning from the similarly great minds around you
What we’re looking for
Previous job experience as a software engineer, ideally within ideally within a highly scalable environment.
- Metrics driven approach to making decisions, prioritisation and continuous deployment
- Modern engineering mindset – you’re keen to experiment and use A/B testing in order to move forward quickly and efficiently
- Use of methodologies for continuous delivery to improve travellers’ experiences
- You feel comfortable balancing technical, analytical and product needs, and know the difference between Single Page Apps and Server-Side Rendering
- You’re enthusiastic about meeting customer needs and appreciate what makes beautiful product, UX and design
- You make others better proactively through code reviews, documentation, technical guidance and mentoring.
- Capable of working with others to build a new frontend codebase from scratch, enabling us to scale through component driven development
- You’re excited by modern frontend technologies and frameworks, such as: ES6, Sass/Less, Webpack, npm, React, Vue and HTML, CSS
- It would be useful to have experience in large scale systems deployed to AWS
What else can we offer you……
We also provide for your health with medical insurance, health screening options, headspace subscription and an employee assistance programme to support you and your loved ones.
Then it gets really interesting, and you can buy more holiday, donate to a good cause, take part in 2 hackdays per year, and 1 charity day, work from your home country for up to 3 weeks, spend up to 30 days working from another of our offices globally, and you have the option to take part in Skyscanner extended annual leave which is an additional 3 weeks’ break (unpaid) after 3 years’ service or take 5 weeks’ break (paid) after 5 years’ service.