Skyscanner is big enough to offer scale, small enough for you to make impact. Here, if you build it, you run it. And right now we’re creating the next-generation of apps, products, systems and services to connect travellers across the globe. Our engineering teams work together and cross functionally, constantly iterating to deliver an unmatched traveller experience.
At Skyscanner we work across multiple engineering disciplines including software, systems, security and mobile.
Our engineers work in autonomous squads where they can shape their own backlog, deliver value to our travellers, shipping high quality code without dependencies on others.
Hi, I'm Dominic! I joined Skyscanner in late 2017 as an Associate Product Manager, but these days have changed things up and work as a Senior Software Engineer.
I really enjoyed being a Product Manager but still wanted to know more about how things worked, and Skyscanner was really supportive of me taking the Engineering interview to switch to Software Engineer 1. Software Engineering is about far more than just code, and the skills I learned as a Product Manager definitely helped me be a better Engineer.
During my time as an Engineer I've tried a range of things, both Backend and Frontend, Web and App, and rotated teams several times at my own volition to learn more. Over time I've found I enjoy the Web Frontend the most, and so specalised in that area as I grew in expertise.
I definitely recommend rotations, especially early on, as different squads and people work completely differently, so its a really fast way to learn and challenge your assumptions.
What you'll do:
- Ensure that the traveller needs are at the forefront when building creative and robust products
- Work with your squad in the design and development of highly scalable and performant systems
- Support your team in setting and following the operational processes, engineering principles and standards
- Partner with product managers to define the roadmap and deliver new features that will deliver value to our users
The skills you need:
- A good strong technical foundation with the potential to achieve technical excellence
- Passion and curiosity for the technology industry which extends beyond your academic studies
- Commitment to developing your technical and personal skills
- Ability to collaborate both in your squad and across the business
- A fresh perspective and willingness to share ideas and do things differently
What do we offer:
- A supportive, trusting and transparent working environment
- A place to look at things differently and challenge and offer solutions
- An opportunity to learn, master and develop your craft in a community of experienced mentors
- An environment of experimentation, where each squad has autonomy and can utilise open source technologies
- A role which combines learning on the job with a bespoke programme of technical and personal skills development