- We’ve seen a surge in positivity among travellers as news emerges around potential travel to European favourites
- UK favourites Spain and Greece have seen increases in searches and booking for the summer over the last few weeks following proposed measures to welcome UK travellers
- Prices are lower-than-average for this time of year for popular destinations such as Cyprus
We can reveal growing optimism towards international travel in 2021 as our most recent survey indicates that 66% of UK travellers believe the global situation is getting better, a trend which has been increasing week on week.*
“After a year of ongoing restrictions, people are beginning to look forward to the possibility of travelling again, with renewed positivity among UK travellers on Skyscanner translating into surges in both searches and bookings over the past few weeks.”
“Our community has been really engaged with the changing travel landscape and are reacting to the news as the situation evolves. The potential easing of restrictions in the summer combined with the vaccine rollout has led to hopes that trips with family and friends to favourite European destinations might be just around the corner.”Jon Thorne, Traveller Expert at Skyscanner
Summer Holiday Hopefuls – Spain, Greece and Cyprus
Spain was the top destination booked by UK travellers immediately following recovery roadmap announcements, with the most popular outbound month being August.
- Most trips (54%) will be a week or less in length, and the top booked destinations in Spain are Malaga, Palma and Ibiza.
- Spain has historically been the top searched destination by UK travellers on Skyscanner. Prices are currently up to 25% lower during summer** than in 2020.
Searches to Greece from the UK for summer 2021 have increased 44% week-on-week, with the top increasing routes as follows:
- London to Mykonos increasing (+278% week-on-week)
- London to Zante (+363% week on week)
- Manchester to Mykonos (+314% week-on-week)**
Pricing to Greece for the summer months is currently lower than average – average prices are up to 30% lower than in summer 2020, and 11% lower than in 2019.
- Flight prices to Cyprus from the UK for travel in the summer months (June, July, August) are up to 17% lower compared to the same booking and travel period in 2019.**
- There are currently great deals to be had with economy, return flights from London to Paphos starting from £68 in June and £76 from London to Larnaca.**
Skyscanner tools for travellers
We’ve launched a range of new features to provide the most up-to-date advice for travellers during the pandemic including:
- an interactive travel map with all the latest travel requirements
- dedicated advice pages
- flexible booking policy filters for flights and hotels for last minute changes
- airline hygiene safety and hotel cleanliness ratings.
Notes to editors
*Average percentage of UK traveller’s in Skyscanner pulse survey (1,155) who indicated they felt more positive about the global situation [22.02.21 – 08.03.21]
**Summer months are defined as June, July and August
**Analysis period is 22/2/21 to 24/2/21 following government roadmap announcements, which included the potential re-opening of international travel
** Insights are based on redirect data for return, economy travel unless otherwise stated. Yearly differences are based on a redirect made in February for travel in June, July or August and compared to the same period in 2021, 2020 and 2019.