Location: Edinburgh or Glasgow
Skyscanner is a world leading global travel search site providing instant online comparisons on millions of flight prices on 1000 airlines, as well as for car hire and hotels. Behind our brand is a culture of continual innovation and right now, we're doing great things. The development engineering team is driving a transformation in online travel search. Our goal is to deliver game-changing innovative solutions, enabling Skyscanner to become the most trusted online travel search provider. To enable us to meet our ambitions, we’re looking to hire talented engineers with a passion for researching and developing Tooling, to allow development teams to deliver solutions predictably, efficiently, and to a high quality – every time.
You'll be joining a newly formed Enablement Squad whose mission is to create the infrastructure and services required to develop, test, release and maintain high quality products and to fundamentally shape how Skyscanner develops and deploys software.
You'll enjoy a range of responsibilities in this highly visible role and be recognised for solving large scale engineering and cross-organisational problems. You will evangelise the tools, services and frameworks created by the team and enable the transition for the product engineering teams.
Tooling Engineers at Skyscanner work within an Agile, fast-paced and collaborative environment. You should be comfortable working as part of a team and you should exhibit team-driven values and behaviours in both your personal attributes and how you approach your work.
Key responsibilities will be to:
- Create tools and services that enable engineering teams to scale effectively
- Make Skyscanner the best place in the world to develop and deploy software
- Collaborate with your engineering peers to identify technical pain points and opportunities for process improvement
- Consistently deliver high quality solutions
- Take part in team planning activities and contribute towards team improvement
- Identify appropriate technology that can be used to deliver tooling solutions for Skyscanner
Qualifications, Skills and Experience needed:
Programming & Tools
- Relevant experience in at least one programming language based on an open-source stack (Java, Python, Ruby, Scala, etc.)
- Software development experience using object oriented or functional design techniques
- Experience of designing and developing RESTful, JSON and API services
- Experience with Linux and Windows operating systems
- Experience with scripting to automate processes and workflows
- Experience of working in an agile, continuous delivery environment
- We're looking for a keen problem-solver with the desire and interest to solve difficult technical challenges
- You'll take ownership and responsibility of your work from development to production
- You'll develop solutions collaboratively within the squad and across the organisation
- You'll evangelise tooling and services created within the team to promote adoption across the organisation
- You'll be passionate about technology in order to learn new technologies as required by our engineering function
Also nice to have (though not essential for this role):
- Experience of working with large engineering departments
- Virtualisation knowledge and management e.g. VMWare, Virtual Box, Vagrant, EC2, etc.
- Experience of configuration management, e.g. Ansible, Puppet, Chef
- Experience of relational and/or NoSQL databases, e.g. SQL Server, Postgresql, Couchbase, Elasticsearch
- Expereince of delivery of large-scale web solutions to 20 million+ users on a monthly basis
- Exposure to large-scale distributed systems and client-server architectures
- Experience with .Net