Location: Edinburgh or Glasgow
There are exciting openings within the Data Acquisition team at Skyscanner as a result of continued rapid business growth. Based out of our modern central Edinburgh or Glasgow offices you'll have the opportunity to make a large impact on the quality of software used by millions of people around the world.
Working as part of an agile, energetic, and intelligent team you will help increase global coverage of flight, hotel and car hire providers by ensuring that web scrapers and API connections provide accurate and timely information. Dealing with real world challenges on a new scale this position is ideal for someone who is passionate about technology, wants to develop their skills across a range of systems and would love their work to be seen by an audience of millions.
Using your excellent organisational skills to prioritise tasks you’ll create web crawlers, seamless redirects and keep the business informed should any issues arrise. You’ll know how to deliver robust, scalable code to a tight deadline and you’ll also be able to communicate effectively with your non-techy colleagues.
Whether you are a seasoned professional ready to impress or a talented apprentice ready to turn theory into reality, career development opportunities are exceptional and what matters will be your passion and ability to deliver. We are looking for exceptional software engineers who have a strong desire to build on their existing skills and learn new technologies. Specific experience with particular programming languages is less important than your conceptual understanding of software engineering principles and the web industry.
- Ideally: Scripting Language (Python, Ruby, Perl)
- Beneficial: C#, Advanced Python
- Beneficial: DOM (XPath/SAX), Regular Expressions and AJAX
- Ideally: written own web scraper/crawler
- Possible alternative: Natural Language Processing, Data Mining or Text Parsing
- Delivery of high volume/throughput Python services
Brownie Points for: (really nice to have!!)
- Ideally: Unit Testing
- Beneficial: Test Driven Development, UnitTest2, Nose (1 or 2), cProfile, RunSnakeRun
- Possible Alt: NUnit (C#), Jasmine (JS) or similar from other languages.
- Ideally: Shell Scripting, Basic Administration
- Possible Alt: Bash, Windows Batch scripting
- Ideally: Scripting in MSSQL
- Beneficial: MSSQL, knowledge of advanced joins & functions.
- Possible Alt: MySQL, PostGRESQL or similar
Tell us about
- a website you've developed or written a scraper for
- a relevant recent work project or University placement
- any programming you've done off your own back
- please also provide details of your estimated salary expectations, notice period and eligibility to work in the UK