Location: This role can be based in either Edinburgh, Glasgow, Barcelona or Budapest.
What's in it for you?
Already Europe’s number 1 travel search site, Skyscanner has ambitious plans for future growth and we're well on our way! Playing a key part in the next stage of our development, you'll be comfortable with your work being seen by millions of Skyscanner users as part of our suite of award-winning applications. You’ll also be part of a continuously-evolving product delivery team with a busy roadmap of work, big ambitions and an absolute focus on “mobile first”.
Skills and experience we're looking for:
- A strong foundation in Computer Science, with competencies in application development, optimisation and a detailed understanding of the core issues around mobile generally
- Ability to work in a rapidly-changing environment, with constant experimentation and research into new technologies
- Support our long-term vision of bringing Skyscanner to all mobile devices
- Development to expert level in one or both of the iOS and Android platforms (and ability to lead and mentor if not expert), with a view to the following standards:
- Driving a team tasked with developing apps which ‘lean on the platform’ – leveraging the mobile OS as far as possible, minimising custom development and maintenance
- Ensuring development across two platforms is delivered to equal standards
- Ensure test strategies are followed and integrated on both platforms, in consultation with Test and Release teams
- Experience of working in a component-based environment, providing both consolidated apps and SDKs for use externally – and the challenges around integration and documentation of code
- Good knowledge of development for multiple devices, screen sizes and orientations, with varying capabilities and features – and the most appropriate UX to cater for all
- Knowledge of development with Service-Oriented Architecture and how it affects mobile client experiences
- Experience of working in a Continuous Integration environment, with a focus on TDD/BDD, automation and a ‘release train’ culture
- Experience of the Agile working environment with Scrum and how a senior engineer feeds into that process
- Knowledge of the challenges around developing apps for a global, scalable environment and best practices in meeting those challenges
Other desirable skills (not essential to apply, but preferred):
- Experience of working with multiple languages, currencies and cultural settings, and how they are applied within mobile devices
- Knowledge of developing for multiple app stores and marketplaces, and how to track success within those different platforms
- Ability to keep up with trends in the mobile development scene and how upcoming OS releases affect short and long-term decisions