Skyscanner is expanding its capability in mobile application development, and is looking for developers to craft world-class experiences for mobile users around the world.
You will be comfortable with your work quickly being seen by millions of Skyscanner users as part of our suite of award-winning applications.
You’ll also be part of a continuously-evolving product delivery team with a busy roadmap of work, big ambitions and an absolute focus on “mobile first”.
Skills and experience we're looking for:
- A strong foundation in Computer Science, with competencies in application development, optimisation and a detailed understanding of the core issues around mobile development
- Good experience of the Android development environment, application architecture, device capabilities and development frameworks:
- Development in Eclipse, Maven, Gradle with Java and the Android SDK
- Knowledge of Java tuning and memory management specific to mobile and tablet devices
- Experience working with REST-based JSON and XML APIs and the best practices for working with low-bandwidth mobile connections
- Extensive working knowledge of the Android application guidelines and flexibility in their adoption and adaptation
- Good knowledge of development for multiple devices, screen sizes and orientations, with varying capabilities and features – and the most appropriate UX to cater for all
- Knowledge of development with Service-Oriented Architecture and how it affects mobile client experiences
- Experience of working in a Continuous Integration environment, with a focus on TDD, automation and ‘release anytime’ culture
- Experience of the Agile working environment with Scrum and how a developer role feeds into that process
- Knowledge of the challenges around developing apps for a global, scalable environment and best practices in meeting those challenges
Other desirable skills (not essential to apply, but preferred):
- Experience of working with multiple languages, currencies and cultural settings, and how they are applied within Android devices
- Knowledge of developing for multiple app stores and marketplaces, and how to track success within those different platforms
- Ability to keep up with trends in the mobile development scene and how upcoming OS releases affect short and long-term decisions
- Knowledge of mobile A/B testing frameworks and the most appropriate usage