Location: Edinburgh or Glasgow
Skyscanner has 25 million mobile application installs across a portfolio of native applications for iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, and Windows 8 as well as a mobile website. All these applications are powered by the APIs that power the main Skyscanner website and B2B services.
The architecture team at Skyscanner works with our CTO, Alistair Hann to set the technical strategy of the business and provides architectural guidance for the engineering and service management teams. Members of the team have to work across the business with the product, commercial, and marketing teams in order to turn the company’s business vision into a tangible software roadmap, communicating that, and enabling its delivery by the engineering, and service management teams.
- Take on technical ownership of mobile within the business, working with development partners and meeting with major handset manufacturers.
- Identify emerging trends in mobile handsets and operating systems and identify the relevance and use of these in the Skyscanner applications
- Design major new systems and guidance for multi-team and business critical projects
- Curating and evolving the technology platform – resilience, scaling, performance, operability, maintainability
- Architectural Governance - technology selection, design patterns, etc.
- Training and Development – sharing expertise on systems and best practice with new and junior staff
- Educated to Degree level or equivalent relevant demonstrable experience
- Experience with iOS and Android application development is essential, and experience of other mobile platforms would be beneficial.
- Excellent understanding of web services, and their design with respect to mobile applications.
- Comprehensive knowledge and application of architectural methodologies and techniques
- Extensive applied knowledge / experience of actively leading the systems architecture of solutions
- Effective communicator, able to persuade and influence across the organization
- Evangelises technical solutions across the organisation and externally
- Able to effectively articulate technical concepts to diverse-skilled audiences
Take a look at our latest technical blogs:
- Developing a mobile cross-platform library - Part 1. Exploring
- Developing a mobile cross-platform library - Part 2. C+
Or for more insight into Skyscanner, comments from our leaders and information on what life at Skyscanner is like,
Tell us about
- your experience relevant to mobile architecture in similar agile environment
- please provide details of your current salary, salary expectations and your notice period